Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Poor Man's Irish Stew Recipe

I was born to a very young Mother, one of the blessings that comes with that... is having the opportunity to have Grandparents and Great Grandparents that are young as well!
I grew up with my VERY Irish Great Grandfather living within walking distance of my childhood home and school. Let's just say, I often 'forgot' my key on the way home from school!!!
He would feed me and we would watch old westerns. Our favorite!
We were very close and I will ALWAYS remember the tastes and smells from his Kitchen!
I really miss this stew, and having married a beautiful Irish boy myself... I thought I might try to recreate it. 

Chancey Irish Stew Recipe
  
  •  14-16 oz smoked kielbasa or sausage of your choosing. I chose a nice smoked greasy kielbasa.  Cut into 1/2-1 inch slices.
  •  8 frozen Corn Cob halves
  • Bag of baby carrots. Smaller bag.
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 6 Potatoes quartered
  • half head of cabbage, rough chopped and reserved til end. 
  • 3 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1 TBS Paprika
  • 1 TBS Black Pepper
  • pinch of salt optional
  • bay leaf
  • 4 Cups beef Stock
  • 4 Cups Chicken Stock
Combine all ingredients except for cabbage, in stock pot or crockpot. Simmer low to med heat for 4-8 hours. 20 minutes before serving bring to a soft boil and add in cabbage to soften cabbage. Serve once cabbage is wilted lightly. 
More pepper may be desired.  

No comments: